Immanuel Presbyterian Church is an inclusive, thoughtful, creative and involved Christian community. We are seeking a person called to minister to youth, children and families in our progressive congregation.
Purpose of the Position:
To grow the ministry to youth, sustain and strengthen children’s ministries, and develop a ministry with families.
* Create a connection with our youth and build engaging programming that helps them explore and deepen their spiritual lives. This ranges from weekly youth group to mission activities.
* Sustain and strengthen our Sunday School program, engaging and enabling congregation members to teach Sunday School.
* Build on our tradition of Wild Goose Adventures, a week-long opportunity that engages children with a theme related to our faith (summer).
* Engage with our church and local community on issues relevant to our families and faith.
* Develop innovative, engaging activities with youth, children and families.
* Craft and coordinate a confirmation program for our youth.
* Coordinate and supervise nursery staff, providing age-appropriate lessons for this age group.
* Communicate with families, the congregation, the Children and Youth Ministries (CYM) Committee, the minister and administrative assistant.
* Attend monthly CYM Committee meetings.
We seek a candidate who has a demonstrated commitment to Christian education and the development of youth and children. Because we are seeking depth in our programs and experiences, a theological background is required. Specifically, a bachelor’s degree in Christian education or the equivalent is desired, as is at least three years of experience in a similar role. The candidate should understand and be able to express her or his own Christian life and faith.
We seek a candidate who can make a multi-year commitment to our community, youth and children.
Experience and commitment to youth is prioritized. While the ideal candidate also demonstrates proficiency with children and Sunday School programming, a willingness to grow in this area would be considered.
Specific qualities we seek are:
* understanding of the emotional, intellectual and spiritual needs of children and youth
* interpersonal and communication skills (with adults, youth and children)
* ability to work independently and with others
Commitment and Compensation:
20 hours per week: Sunday mornings, some evenings, other hours are flexible.
Salary: $25,000-$30,000 per year, depending on experience (tentative).
Please send a letter that describes your interest in this position with your resume and three references to [email protected]
About Immanuel Presbyterian Church:
Immanuel Presbyterian Church (www.ipctacoma.org) is a theologically progressive church in Tacoma, Wash.’s historic North End. We believe
* That everyone is a child of God, loved extravagantly in the midst of any and all life circumstances, lifestyles and life choices.
* That God’s love for us calls us to love others through caring relationships and service, especially to the poor and marginalized.
* That exploring the sacred within a community is an important part of identity formation and is integral to our emotional, intellectual, moral, creative and spiritual growth.
* That playfulness, compassion and joy are central to our community and to what we believe about God’s intention for a full, holy human life.