Director of Children and Youth Ministry
The Presbyterian Church of Wyoming
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Children and Youth Ministry
HOURS PER WEEK: 30
Sunday mornings and evenings are required. Staff meetings occur on Monday mornings. There is some flexibility in
the rest of the schedule that can be arranged with the co-pastors. REPORTS TO: Pastor(s)
Development and execution of all programs relating to families with school age children at the Presbyterian Church of Wyoming.
The Presbyterian Church of Wyoming is a mid-sized community church inside the outer belt of Cincinnati, Ohio. We have served the close-knit community of Wyoming continuously for over 150 years. Our co-pastors have recognized the need for innovation in bringing the message of Jesus Christ to the next generation and have been encouraging an intergenerational approach to faith formation. Our top rated, in-house, preschool and the overall demographics of the Wyoming community present a ripe opportunity for encouraging young families in their faith development. We currently have a solid cohort of families with children who are elementary school and younger that attend semi-regularly.
We have active middle and high school youth groups meeting weekly which draw from outside the church. We have become an Ecumenical hub for middle school and high school youth. Older youth tend to participate in our youth groups and infrequently attend worship on Sunday mornings.
We have a good baseline of faith building opportunities for our children and youth. However, there is now the opportunity to innovate as we strengthen our faith formation opportunities for children and increase focus on families. Below are the key responsibilities:
• Lead in providing faith building opportunities for young children during worship. This includes delivering a children’s message as part of worship and leading a program with young children during the sermon for age specific faith formation.
• Lead our Young Congregations Team to ensure that faith building resources are available for children of all ages to support their inclusion in worship (worship kits).
• Develop relationships with parents of young families and work as a team with the pastors in designing churchwide/intergenerational worship, learning opportunities, and support systems for our parents of young families.
• Create opportunities for learning about the Bible, sacraments, prayer, and mission will be important for well rounded faith development for children and youth of all ages. Parents have identified the desire to increase the amount of bible engagement children experience.
• Lead the Middle School Youth program alongside a team of volunteers. The middle school youth typically meet weekly during the school year.
• Provide support in the recruiting, training, resourcing, and encouraging the volunteers who lead the High School Youth Group. Our high school youth group has typically been led by a team of volunteers.
• We see community outreach and relationship building as an important aspect of this role. Time has been built into the position to allow this to occur.
• Seek out professional development and personal growth opportunities. Church leadership supports and encourages ongoing professional development, especially through The Association of Partners in Christian Education apcenet.org. Money and time is budgeted to support ongoing professional development for the Director of Children and Youth Ministry.
Our co-pastors highly value faith formation and will be a support and resource person to the Director of Children and Youth Ministry. The PC(USA) has a strong history in Christian Education and faith formation. Our Director of Children and Youth Ministry is encouraged to tap into the networks and resources available through Apcenet.org. We currently have a classroom complete with Godly Play materials, various pieces of quality curriculum that have been collected over the years, and a budget to purchase other curriculum and resources as needed that support our faith formation ministry. Our Young Congregations Team provides insight, serves as a sounding board, and will help the Director of Children and Youth Ministry start making connections in the community.
1. A strong faith in Jesus Christ, a love of young people, and enthusiasm for sharing the faith with them.
2. Warmth, authenticity, and the ability to connect with people of all ages.
3. Strength in organizing details, recruiting volunteers, and comfort with building relationships
outside of the church.
4. Comfort in presenting/public speaking in front of both children and adults.
5. A willingness to support the mission, vision and priorities of The Presbyterian Church of
Wyoming. Specifically, PCW comes from the reformed tradition and selects curriculum and resources that align with reformed theology. You can learn more about reformed theology by visiting the following https://odtd.net/reformed-theology/
6. Passing a pre-employment drug test and background check is required.
1. Experience in program creation and development
2. Education: Bachelor’s degree in relevant field preferred, but not required
3. Previous experience working or volunteering in a church organization
4. Licensure & Certifications: Formal theological training, certification as a Christian Educator or
willingness to become certified are preferred
BENEFITS: short-term and long-term disability coverage, paid time off, and continuing education funds.