POSITION TITLE: Director of Children’s and Youth Ministry (16 hours)
CHURCH: Trinity Presbyterian Church, 367 Cranbury Road, East Brunswick, NJ 08816
Tel.: 732.257.6636 www.trinity-pc.org
PRIMARY OBJECTIVE: Work with the Session, Staff, and groups within the church to facilitate, communicate, organize, and carry out the mission of the church’s Children and Youth Ministries.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Director of Children and Youth Ministry is accountable to the Pastor, the Personnel and Administration commission, and the Session, in consultation with the Children, Youth, and Family Ministry (CYFM) commission.
REQUIREMENTS: Christian Education and Youth Ministry certification preferred. Experience working with youth required. BA or BS degree with experience in the field preferred. Must be a committed Christian, well versed in Reformed theology. Computer and social media savvy.
1. Keep abreast of educational, developmental, and spiritual needs of the youth and children in the church and refer those needs to the proper resources.
2. Meet monthly with the Children, Youth, and Family Ministry (CYFM) commission to aid in visioning, organization, and implementation of the church’s Children’s and Youth Ministries.
3. Assist the commission in selecting and implementing Church School curricula for pre-school through confirmation and recommend supplemental resources.
4. Assist Church School Superintendent and CYFM commission in the recruitment of Church School teachers, Adult Youth Leaders, Nursery Caregivers, Children’s Church Leaders and Program Coordinators.
5. Plan and implement teacher training, giving attention to the spiritual growth and nurture of teachers and leaders.
6. Lead the confirmation program facilitating the implementation of curriculum and the recruitment of Confirmation teachers, leaders and mentors.
7. Encourage and promote the congregation’s participation in Church School and Youth Ministries.
8. Oversee planning for weekly Youth Group meetings.
9. Guide youth and children in preparing and presenting Youth Sunday and Children’s Sunday worship services.
10. Attend Sunday morning worship and occasionally assist in the leadership of worship (primarily the Children’s Sermon).
11. When able, participate in the whole life of the church (i.e. attend congregational activities).
12. Develop and implement effective and multifaceted communication strategies designed to maintain a regular dialogue with children, youth, and families.
13. Arrange and facilitate mission opportunities for youth.
14. Oversee the work of the Youth Coordinator.
RELATIONSHIPS: The Coordinator of Children and Youth Ministry works with other professional staff and church members through open and consistent communication. The individual reports directly to the Pastor, as well as the Personnel and Administration commission and the Session.
EVALUATION: Work objectives and performance reviews are conducted at least annually by the pastor and the Personnel and Administration commission, in consultation with the CYFM commission.
OTHER: Competitive salary and vacation.
SOME DESCRIPTIVE LANGUAGE REGARDING CHARACTER, PERSONALITY AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Committed to Jesus Christ. Energetic and enthusiastic. Creative and imaginative. Tech savvy. Strong organizational skills. Open and effective communication skills. Understanding of child and adolescent development.
Contact church office or search committee chair: