Director of Children’s, Youth, and Family Formation
St. Paul’s Memorial Church at UVA
St. Paul’s Memorial Church at the University of Virginia seeks a full-time Director of Children’s, Youth, & Family Formation
St. Paul’s seeks an energetic, professional Christian formation leader for children, youth, and families. The person called to this role will join our staff at a moment of unique opportunity as we deepen our commitment to intergenerational worship, fellowship, and formation, and prepare for a major building project. We have a full-time staff of eight, and Sunday attendance growing toward pre-Covid averages of about 300. We have both the spirit of optimism and the financial health necessary to pursue big dreams.
St. Paul’s is a growing, intergenerational, justice-minded parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Virginia, directly across the street from the heart of the University of Virginia. Founded in 1910 as a mission to the University, St. Paul’s is characterized by a lively mix of town and gown, including a thriving college chaplaincy. We are a curious, engaged, LGBTQ-affirming community of seekers and committed Christians, including families, graduate students, longtime locals, faculty members, undergraduates, and retirees.
St. Paul’s is looking for a Director of Children’s, Youth, & Family Formation who wants to…
- Invite children, youth, and families into deeper relationship with God and each other in an inclusive environment of joyful curiosity.
- Encourage and equip lay vocations, especially by example.
- Recruit, coordinate, equip, inspire, and appreciate leaders for Children’s Chapel, Youth Fellowship, intergenerational Common Hour programs, Wednesday evening worship and fellowship, and more.
- Work creatively with staff and parishioners to invite children and youth to participate in new ways in the many ministries of the parish, including worship leadership and mission & service.
- Collaborate with our Director of Music to build on the success of our thriving children’s choirs.
- Coordinate seasonal parish events and traditions specific to children’s, youth, and family ministries.
- Participate in strategic, collaborative program planning and exercise leadership in other ministry areas according to the Director’s own gifts, experience, and perception of potential synergies with children’s, youth, and family formation.
- Grow in faith, skill, and expertise and be compensated according to our expectations for commitment and excellence in this position.
A Master’s degree and/or relevant experience in parish or school ministry is strongly preferred, as is a deep appreciation for the unique theological and liturgical heritage of the Episcopal Church. Joy in working with people of all ages is essential, as are strong writing skills and an attitude of openness, optimism, and flexibility. Please submit a résumé, along with a cover letter addressed to the Rector, the Rev. William Peyton, describing why you think you might be called to this ministry.
Application materials should be sent to [email protected] and received by April 24.