FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF BROOKLYN
TITLE: Director of Christian Education
STATUS: Full Time
DEPARTMENT: Children, Youth, and Families & Christian Education
REPORTS TO: Senior Pastor
WHO IS FIRST CHURCH BROOKLYN?
First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn is an intentionally inclusive and diverse Christian community committed to serving God in our world. Worship is central to our life together. Sunday is the time we set aside every week to be a rejuvenating, learning, praising community together and our children and youth are a big part of that. With song and prayer, in hearing the spoken and sung word of God, we gather and grow, we learn and live together – believing that our love makes a difference in the world. We set tables for all God’s people believing God calls us to make room for all.
WHY WORK WITH US?
Because we are a growing, collaborative, and supportive ministry team! Our style of worship and social action focuses on passionately and creatively relating to God and one another. It includes all ages and welcomes all God’s people. We want to partner with you on your personal and professional spiritual journey, helping you find opportunities to use your God-given talents as part of our community, as well as offering rich spiritual support and partnership! You will be a part of a Christ-centered congregation, one that seeks to be an extended family for our members.
To support the community in knowing God, loving God, and serving God. To inspire and direct faith formation for children, their families, and adults in a nurturing, creative, and safe Christian community at First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn, and to provide age-appropriate spiritual, educational, social and service programs and opportunities that meet the needs of these populations and are in line with the greater vision and mission of the First Church Brooklyn community.
Administrator: Work with Senior Pastor and Children, Youth, and Families and Christian Education committee chairs and lay leaders to oversee and implement Christian Education programming for infants through 6th grade, youth programs for middle-through-high school, as well as both family and adult programming; manage and balance an annual budget; organize and oversee the logistics of Sunday morning programming, classes, retreats, and events.
Supervisor: Supervise volunteer Sunday School teachers and two part-time Nursery Care Givers. Work collaboratively with the part-time Children’s Choir Director, as needed. Maintain current criminal & child abuse background checks for volunteers.
Recruiter/Coordinator: Work with Children, Youth, and Families committee to recruit, train, and support the volunteer base needed to implement programming for nearly 30 registered families. Work with Christian Education committee to craft and implement educational programming for 75 adults.
Visionary/Program Builder: Further develop programming/staffing in creative, spiritually guided directions to better utilize our resources and facilities to:
1) meet the growing needs of families at First Church Brooklyn and to more effectively reach out to families outside our church walls.
2) meet the diverse needs of adults in varying stages of life and faith development and to increase engagement of adults within and outside our church walls.
Pastoral: Provide basic pastoral care to families, children, and adults which may include attending school events, games, plays, etc.; regularly communicate needs and concerns with the senior pastor.
1. Provide a safe, welcoming, and stimulating environment where children, parents, and adults can learn about Jesus Christ and the life of the church through exciting and well-planned programs that purposefully involve servant leaders/parents/families/adults. Involve children and youth in the total life of the church.
2. Serve as a staff liaison to the Children, Youth and Family and Christian Education Committees of the Session; assist the chairs with agenda planning, preparation of minutes, the nominating of sub-committee chairs and committee members; and assist committees in prudent financial planning, develop and monitor all aspects of CYF and CE budget. Work with the Children, Youth, and Family and Christian Education committees to coordinate, recruit, train, encourage and recognize volunteers.
3. Oversee efficient communication to families, volunteers, First Church Brooklyn staff, and congregation, including weekly e-mail to all families, weekly email to Sunday School teachers, event flyers and posters, social media updates, special mailings, weekly bulletin announcements, weekly e-newsletter updates, and thank you notes when applicable. Work with administrative assistant to develop and update database on all contact information.
4. Participate in regular meetings with the Children, Youth, and Family and Christian Education committees, as well as meetings with the senior pastor and staff.
5. Meet regularly and work closely with Children, Youth, and Family and Christian Education committee chairpersons providing leadership, vision, care and administrative support and structure to insure efficient and effective program implementation. Evaluate the educational ministry and facilities on a regular basis by setting annual goals that are in line with First Church Brooklyn’s vision and evaluating how those goals were attained or modified during the year.
i. Sunday School – recruit and train Sunday School teachers; plan, organize, edit and supplement curriculum for 11:15 am Sunday School; maintain attendance records; communicate lesson plans with Sunday School teachers; order and maintain necessary supplies; coordinate set ups; maintain and distribute a teacher schedule in advance; and teach Sunday School at any age level as needed.
ii. Worship – lead in First Sunday worship as invited, coordinate adult volunteers to host formational Kids Korner on First Sundays where children and youth sit together with non-parental adult volunteers.
iii. Nursery – work with Nursery Care Givers to integrate new families; order supplies; and coordinate activities for nursery attendees.
iv. Children’s Choir (under Music Department) – Synchronize and coordinate with the Children’s Choir Director as music events interact with and supplement Children, Youth, and Families programming.
v. Adult Education-design, plan, resource, and implement relevant, substantive, and engaging programming; recruit and liaise with outside experts, professors, theologians, and speakers when necessary, monitor and nurture congregational involvement.
i. Children, Youth, and Families:
1. Events – work with the committee to help plan the calendar and logistics for CYF annual events (Homecoming, Christmas Pageant, Easter Egg Hunt, Service Project), recruit volunteers, brainstorm new events as needed.
2. Summer Programs – work with the committee to plan, invite, and organize Family Retreat.
3. Deepening Connection – work with the committee to follow up with New Members and baptisms, acknowledge new attendees and births, get new attendees involved as servant leaders.
4. Confirmation – assist the pastor with Confirmation.
ii. Christian Education:
1. Courses–work with the committee to craft and curate meaningful and consistent programs throughout the program year (Sept. – June).
2. Engagement-work with the committee to maintain and increase involvement in Christian Educational programming by publicizing, inviting, and surveying.
3. Innovation-work with committee to renew as needed First Church Brooklyn’s understanding of Christian Education, and to imagine new models of meaningful faith formation.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
1. A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and the ability to work with the diverse theological perspectives of the greater New York City community.
2. Masters in Christian Education, Master of Divinity, Masters in Education or equivalent experience in school or multi-functional management.
3. Experience and measurable success in program building in a multi-faceted educational environment. Insight into changing needs and composition of families, children and youth.
4. Experience in a diverse, multicultural setting.
5. Experience implementing curriculum and expertise in teaching.
6. Commitment to the growth and strengthening of the Christian church in general and the Presbyterian Church (USA) in particular.
7. Ability to effectively plan and efficiently coordinate the programming, logistics, and execution of a Christian Education ministry.
8. Demonstrated excellence in Christian education and experience growing an effective Christian education ministry.
9. Enthusiasm for teaching along with a desire to further the spiritual development of youth and adults. Expertise in the needs and interests of children and youth essential.
10. Strong written and oral communication skills including use of computers and social media.
11. An organized and creative self-starter who is a collaborative team player with a positive attitude.
12. Skilled in planning and managing budgets.
13. Strong interpersonal skills with ability to listen. Willing and able to build relationships with children and parents.
14. Openness to working with persons of all ages, genders, families, sexual orientation, social and economic class, races, ethnic groups, and differing theological positions in a non-judgmental and loving way.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Full health benefits and pension.
Continuing Education: That corresponds with the needs of the church with the approval of the Senior Pastor.
Please submit resume, with references to [email protected] Please put EDUCATION DIRECTOR – YOUR NAME in the subject line. Include with your submission, answers to the following narrative questions. (For each narrative question, please limit your response to no more than 1500 characters including spaces and punctuation.)
1.) Describe a moment in your recent ministry that you recognize as one of success and fulfillment.
2.) Describe the ministry setting to which you believe God is calling you.
3.) What areas of growth have you identified in yourself?
4.) Describe a time when you have led change.
Visit firstchurchbrooklyn.org for more information about us.
A Snapshot of First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn and
Christian Education Programming
First Presbyterian Church of Brooklyn
Number of Full Time Pastors 1
Average Worship Attendance: 170
Christian Education Enrollment: 30 families
First Church Brooklyn Christian Education Staff
Director of Christian Education
Administrative Support Staff
First Church Brooklyn’s Family Ministries Programming
Sunday Nursery – New born to 4 years of age
Sunday School – Kindergarten to 6th grade
Youth Programming – 7th grade to high school
Children & Youth Choir – 6 years to 18 years of age
Children’s Christmas Pageant
Positive Parenting Group
Special Event Programming throughout the year, including but not limited to:
” Children, Youth, and Family Special Events: Homecoming, Christmas Party, Easter Egg Hunt
First Church Brooklyn’s Christian Education Programming
Sunday Morning 10 o’ clock Bible Study
Wednesday night education – 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of the month