Director of Christian Education for Children
This is a highly professional position that is responsible for independent work; requiring decision-making skills; requires independent thinking, ability to formulate curriculum planning, good verbal and written communication and organizing skills, and knowledge of age-appropriate curriculum and activities for children. This individual must have the ability to work with co-workers, children and families. The individual in this position must be comfortable and enthusiastic about working with children and their families. This position is responsible for programs for children from birth through 5th grade and their families.
Education and Training:
A Bachelor’s degree in Christian Education; or
A Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education or Education or other related degree.
Those with a bachelor’s degree should have at least one (1) year experience working with young children in a church or other education related position.
An Associate degree in Christian Education; or
An Associate degree in Early Childhood Education or a Child Development Associate (CDA) certificate
Those with an Associate degree should have a minimum of three years’ experience working with young children in a church or other education related position, including experience developing curriculum.
Must have a strong Christian foundation and support and understand the beliefs of the Presbyterian Church, USA
Must be in good physical health and be able to work with young children.
Must be proficient with various forms of technology such as computer programs (such as WORD, EXCEL, publishing programs, data bases), social media, web-based platforms, such as Sign-up Genius and those for communication and payments, etc.
Must pass a Level II background screening.
Minimum Salary: $38,000
Director of Christian Education for Children
PURPOSE: This full-time position is responsible for planning, developing, implementing, and communicating the educational children ministries of the church with the ultimate objective of growing disciples for Jesus Christ. This is a salaried and exempt position. This position would be under direct supervision of Senior Pastor.
Responsibilities of this position include:
Develop an Annual Work Plan to accomplish activities within each program category.
• Oversee a comprehensive Christian Education program for children (birth through grade 5) and their families, which may include:
*Sunday School classes, children’s worship, vacation bible school, and special worship/fellowship events including Wednesday Night Programs,
*Milestone workshops (e.g., 3-year-old Bible class and presentation; communion preparation; hymnal workshop; prayer workshop; workday for 4 & 5th grades, Mission workshop, etc.)
*Leadership in worship
*Pumpkin Patch (Story Time coordination),
*Living Lent Workshop and Easter Egg Hunt, Christmas Eve 5:00pm Children’s service, *Club 45 fellowship events, pool parties, summer activities, and
• Supervise the Nursery Coordinator. In conjunction with the Nursery Coordinator, train caregivers in skills and policy and the Child and Youth Protection Policy, and coordinate nursery events.
• Serve as staff liaison to Preschool Board and Preschool Director.
• Attend quarterly Preschool Board meeting and Wednesday Chapel services
• Foster relations between congregation and preschool family’s joint programs.
• Communicate and advertise Preschool events to the Faith congregation
• Recruit, train and supervise leaders for children’s programs.
Work with staff and Session committees to establish Christian Education goals.
• Serve as staff liaison to the Children and Family Committee and attend meetings.
• Identify and plan innovative programs that provide a basis for theological and biblical enrichment of the children and families of the congregation.
• Work with the Associate Pastor and the Youth DCE to develop a church-wide Christian Education plan that focuses on the entire church family.
Administration of Programs:
• Evaluate theological content and effectiveness of proposed and on-going programs for children.
• Plan a year-long calendar of Christian Education programs/events for children.
• Encourage children and families to attend PCUSA sponsored programs, events, and retreats.
• With appropriate Session committees and church staff, evaluate the Christian Education budget and make recommendations to ensure there are sufficient resources for successful delivery of Christian Education programs and recommend changes if necessary.
• This position is accountable to the Senior Pastor.
• This position will work closely with the Children and Families Committee.
• The Director will interact with the Pastor, Associate Pastor, Director of Christian Education for Youth and Young Adults, Preschool Director, and Music Director.
• Communicate with all families with children birth through 5th grade with emails or other social media.
• In conjunction with the Evangelism Committee, contact visitors and new members that have children birth through 5th grade with information regarding programs, the faith website children’s link, and a personal invite to any activities
Pastoral Care: Provide support, in conjunction with the Pastoral Care Committee, for children and their families when pastoral care is needed (new baby, death, crisis, etc.)
• Attend PCUSA sponsored programs, events, and retreats, especially consider those which would enhance knowledge and expertise in planning and presenting programming for children and their families, including obtaining continuing education credits are appropriate.
• The DCE will receive an annual evaluation from the Personnel Committee in conjunction with the Senior Pastor.