DIRECTOR OF CHRISTIAN EDUCATION
First Presbyterian Church (PCUSA)
First Presbyterian Church is a growing congregation of 200 members with an expanding Christian Education program for children, youth, and adults. We are located in Lebanon, Tennessee, just 30 minutes east of Nashville.
Our caring faith community is seeking a Director of Christian Education (DCE) to oversee all educational ministries of the church. This is a part-time but salaried position providing for somewhat flexible hours. The ideal candidate is a dynamic, outgoing person who has a strong relationship with Jesus Christ, is inspired and creative, organized yet flexible, and can encourage and motivate others. Team-building is an important skill as well as the ability to communicate through verbal, written, and technological methods. The DCE should have sufficient training and experience necessary to assist in the nurture of the church’s educational mission. The DCE will have freedom to pursue new initiatives and develop new strategies in partnership with the pastor and the Christian Education Committee.
Initially, this is a part-time position, but we anticipate that as the program develops it will become full-time. The DCE will work under the direction of the Christian Education Committee of the Session, in cooperation with the pastor, and indirectly with the Personnel Committee.
· A background in Christian Education or a related field is preferred and a bachelor’s degree is required.
· A strong personal faith in Jesus Christ, strong character, and the ability to consistently maintain Christ-honoring relationships in both professional and personal lives.
· Must take initiative and be intrinsically motivated.
· Adherence to the doctrines of the Reformed Faith.
· A love for people and the ability to relate to all ages, thereby fostering intergenerational relationships.
· Effective organizational, communication, and writing skills.
· Experience working with committees, recruiting volunteers, and training leaders.
· Proficiency in computer technology and social media.
· Background clearances as required by the denomination and FPC-Lebanon.
· In cooperation with the Pastor and the Christian Education Committee, design and implement a comprehensive Christian Education ministry.
· Continually evaluate the Christian Education ministry making adjustments where necessary.
· Connect and communicate regularly with parents, children, Session, and the congregation via traditional methods (face to face meetings, phone calls, etc.) and modern methods (email, text, Snapchat, Instagram, etc.).
· Attend all meetings of the Christian Education Committee.
· Provide direction and leadership for the Vacation Bible School committee.
· Recruit and train teachers and other educational volunteers.
· Identify and implement curriculum and other resources for teachers.
· Develop ways for children to more fully participate in worship.
· Maintain professional development by attending continuing education events.
· Join and participate in Association of Presbyterian Church Educators.
The compensation for this position will be commensurate with experience, education, and the time commitment. The salary will be established by the Personnel Committee and adjustments may be made on a yearly basis based on performance and budgetary implications. In addition, there shall be two weeks paid vacation per year.
FPC’s education program has four classes for children and youth and five classes for adults. We have taken this program about as far as we can with volunteer leadership and are now seeking an educator to lift our program to the next level. We are looking for someone who will serve as a resource to teachers as well as to the Christian Education committee.
Some programs that we would like to initiate are a program for children on Wednesdays before or after the church Fellowship Meal, the renewal of the Children & Worship program, and a Rotational Model Sunday School. The church has a Mothers’ Day Out and we would like for the DCE to integrate with that program.
Lebanon is the county seat of Wilson County and like much of Middle Tennessee is experiencing tremendous growth. We want to be able to offer a quality, meaningful program of Christian Education for all ages. Our congregation highly values education as evidenced by the large number of teachers and principals attending the church.
If you are interested in this position please submit your resume to the DCE Search Committee at [email protected]
DIRECTOR OF CHRISTIAN EDUCATION