Director of Christian Education
Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church
412 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
STATUS: Full-time, 40 hours per week, includes Sunday mornings.
HOURS AND COMPENSATION: Approximately 40 hours per week. This job
requires both Sunday work and occasional evening work. The DCE is paid a
competitive salary, commensurate with the candidate’s experience,
education and other qualifications. The position comes with a competitive
benefits package including medical insurance support, paid vacation etc.
Start date negotiable: ideal start Aug. 1, 2018.
Opened in 1768, Old Pine is the oldest Presbyterian church on its
original footprint in the city of Philadelphia. The last six years have been a
time of strong renewal in our membership and programming. We have seen
an influx of young families with children, which is why we are now hiring a
full-time Director of Christian Education.
The DCE will help us to expand the full range of our educational
programs, for children, youth and adults. We are looking for someone who
will hit the ground running with creative ideas for developing faithenhancing,
community-growing educational programs. The DCE will closely
engage with church members, fostering supportive relationships through our
Sunday morning programs, social media, and ongoing contact with
individuals and families. He/she will work closely with the pastor, church
administrator, and church committees.
This is an ideal position for someone with a passion for Christian
education who wants to be part of a growing congregation in a vibrant,
historical urban neighborhood.
1. Gather lesson plans for all Sunday school classes (currently two
sections: ages 3-6 and 7-10) and one pre-confirmation class (ages 11
2. Help teach biennial confirmation classes (ages 13-15).
3. Recruit and support nursery care workers for worship services and
4. Recruit and support Sunday school teachers and parent volunteers.
5. On two Sundays per month, deliver the children’s sermon during the
6. Engage families with young children in the activities, missions and life
of the church.
7. Prepare adult education events, inviting speakers to discuss
contemporary issues of faith.
8. Work with pastor, church administrator, and committees to publicize
events, using skills in social media and web design.
1. Bachelor’s degree in education, theology or related fields, Certified
Christian Educator or the equivalent.
2. Demonstrated faith in Christ.
3. Experience working with children and adults and an interest in their
4. Knowledge of/experience with special needs children is favored.
5. Familiarity with Presbyterian Church (USA) or similar theological
6. Background check and child abuse clearance required.
Please send a resume, cover letter, and three references to: