Director of Youth and Young Professionals Ministries
First Presbyterian Church
Virginia Beach, Virginia
First Presbyterian Church
300 36th St
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23462
First Presbyterian Church is a 100 year old church and a member of the Presbyterian Church(USA). FPC is a warm and welcoming congregation with an active and growing youth program, and holds services each Sunday at 8:30am and 11am.
Position: Director of Youth and Young Professionals Ministries (Position is full time with benefits)
Purpose: The purpose of youth ministry at First Presbyterian is to help our youth develop authentic faith in God through Jesus Christ by means of an active program emphasizing:
• Christian Education & Spiritual Growth
• Mission & Outreach
• Ministry Leadership
Accountability: The Director of Youth and Young Professional’s Ministries is accountable to the Session through the Christian Education Committee and is supervised by the Head of Staff.
• Plan and implement a youth program that encourages Youth participation in Worship, Christian Education & Spiritual Growth, Mission & Outreach, Fellowship and Ministry Leadership.
• Lead a College & Young Professional’s ministry for people ages 19-26 years old to support those who are living locally and away.
• Foster relationships with youth & young professional participants, as well as their families.
• Provide leadership, including planning and oversight, of the weekly programming including Sunday School 9:45am, 5:00pm Middle School Youth Group, 7:00pm High School Youth Group, and assist with Confirmation Class (January-May).
• Take an active leadership role in the Christian Education Committee.
• Attend FPC Worship Services to connect with youth and families that attend each service.
• Cultivate and train a team of volunteer leaders (Youth Advisors)
• Develop and publish a Youth Calendar and provide regular communication in which families can access information and announcements
• Maintain database in order to keep contact information current
• Participate in church-wide events in order to establish relationships with members of the church and to promote youth participation in multigenerational programing.
• Recruit & support weekly youth leadership in the 11:00am service
• In coordination with FPC staff, lead Young Professional’s Sunday (Dec), Scout Sunday (February), and Youth Sunday (May)
Christian Education/ Spiritual Growth
• Teach Youth Sunday school, as well as coordinate and equip volunteers in teaching.
• Orchestrate summer retreats and/or mission trips
Mission & Outreach
• Coordinate with Mission Director on local opportunities for youth to serve in mission and include regular mission project into youth schedule
• Establish two weekend mission trips (Fall & Spring) to engage in mission beyond Virginia Beach
• Discern gifts of Youth and encourage ways for them to serve within the church and beyond
• Support the Youth Elder in their leadership role on Session
Fundraising & Budget
• Maintain annual operating budget for youth ministry
• Actively plan and promote opportunities to fund youth ministry opportunities during the summer and throughout the year.
Requirements: The successful candidate will exhibit a Christ-centered faith, a passion for nurturing relationships, and a desire to enhance and grow a program that cultivates spiritual discernment and growth. The ideal candidate will have a personable demeanor with the ability to relate well to all age groups, especially with youth, their families, young professionals.
Other requirements include:
Experience in Youth Ministry and/or Church Leadership
Proficient in social media & technology
Excellent planning and organizational skills
Excellent written and spoken communication skills
If you are interested in applying, please submit resumes/cover letters to email@example.com