Join Our Team
We are looking for compassionate, caring, and dedicated Chaplain to join our team and help us continue our tradition of excellence.
As a Chaplain you will play a critical role in continuing the healing mission of Deaconess Henderson. This unique position provides a great opportunity to work in both areas and also allows some scheduling flexibility.
- Provides spiritual care to patients, family members and staff on an ecumenical basis. Works with the manager in planning and implementing designated areas of the department’s program.
- Provides pastoral care and services to patients and their families as part of total patient care including the integration of theology and the behavioral sciences into pastoral practice, ability to offer care to persons from diverse cultural, ethnic, and religious backgrounds and effectively functioning as a member of the interdisciplinary team. Provides a supportive ministry to patients’ families. Provides or arranges for rites or sacraments appropriate to the patient’s and /or family’s faith tradition on request.
- Assists with clinical pastoral education and continuing educational programs for community clergy, laypersons, members of religious orders and theological students.
- Counsels and provides guidance to hospital personnel, staff, and students.
- Refers personnel to sources of additional help when indicated.
- Serves on request in areas such as employee orientation, education, grievances, etc. Serves on hospital and staff committees.
- Participates within the hospital in interprofessional programs in the care of patients and families of patients and in specialized areas such as cancer treatment, cardiac rehabilitation, Emergency Department and Intensive Care Units.
- Relates to organizations engaged in professional education for ministry.
What You Will Need
Education and Experience
Must have bachelor of arts/science and master of divinity degrees (or equivalent) from a recognized seminary, divinity school or school of theology, plus four units of clinical pastoral education at an accredited center of the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education.
Must hold ordination/endorsement or official recognition by a recognized denomination or faith group.
Hospital experience required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Certification or willingness to seek certification by recognized bodies; i.e. Association of Professional Chaplains or the National Association of Catholic Chaplains.
Keeping you safe
We are taking necessary precautions to keep our candidates and staff safe through the pandemic. Interviews are being conducted in-person while onboarding is being done virtually, both with proper social distancing. We provide you with proper PPE and do our best to keep you safe. As a member of the healthcare team, you will have early access to the new COVID vaccine.
Why Choose Deaconess?
Deaconess is one of the largest, local employers in the tri-state area and has been recognized as the #2 Hospital in Indiana and named Best Place to Work in 2020. Compassion for patients and dedication to the community are core values of Deaconess and have been since our founding in 1892. We truly value our employees. Come join us and find a CAREER you can love!