North Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church, in the beautiful foothills of North Carolina, is seeking an Interim Director of Children, Youth and Family. This is a full-time position for a minimum of one year. This person will be responsible for leading, developing and growing the Faith Foundation (formerly Christian Education) ministry at the North Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church (NWPC) for children, youth and families. Other duties include:
· evaluate educational needs and recruit, train and motivate volunteer educational leaders
· assist leaders with selecting teaching materials and obtaining materials and supplies
· plan and implement special programs and events and manage the financial parameters of the program
· create, promote and support family centered activities.
If interested, please forward your resume and contact information to Melinda Goforth at NWPC at [email protected] or call 336-667-1288 for more information.
Job Title: Interim Director of Children, Youth and Family
Reports To: Pastor
Position Status/Weekly Hours: Full-Time/Exempt
Schedule: 4 week days plus Sunday – Retreats, conferences
Position Purpose: Responsible for leading, developing and growing the Faith Foundation (formerly Christian Education) ministry at the North Wilkesboro Presbyterian Church (NWPC) for children, youth and families. Evaluate educational needs and recruit, train and motivate volunteer educational leaders. Assist leaders with selecting teaching materials and obtaining materials and supplies. Plan and implement special programs and events and manage the financial parameters of the program. Create, promote and support family centered activities. Serve as staff liaison with the Faith Foundation (FF) and Fellowship/Kirk Night and other committees as needed.
• With the FF Committee, recruit, empower and equip all teachers and leaders in children, youth and family educational ministries.
• Consult and advise teachers with special situations in their classrooms.
• Communicate with church family through email, newsletter articles, text messages and social media for opportunities to participate in FF opportunities.
• Provide resources and support for children, youth and family Sunday School teachers, children’s ministry leaders, youth leaders.
• Create and maintain a youth schedule for Sunday and Wednesday evening youth programs.
• Recruit and schedule Children’s Worship leaders.
• With the FF Committee, Fellowship and Mission and Outreach Committees plan and coordinate: Vacation Bible School or Family Fun Day, Advent Celebration, Easter Celebration and other events.
• With FF Committee, create, promote and support family centered events and activities.
• Plan, attend and facilitate all youth group meetings.
• Plan and facilitate Confirmation Classes.
• Provide programming for Youth for Kirk Night.
• Coordinate budgeting needs for the children, youth and family ministries of FF and maintain record of participation of children and youth in youth ministry events.
• Attend Session meetings and provide monthly report of activities.
• Attend monthly and other FF Committee meetings.
• Ensure Child and Youth Protection Policy is observed in all youth ministry settings.
• Attend weekly staff meeting.
• Maintain and evaluate curriculum for youth, children and family Church School classes.
• Serve as a resource for FF material for Kirk Night programming.
• Provide training and support for all youth, children and family teachers.
• Notify teachers of upcoming training opportunities to improve teaching skills.
• Maintain the FF Supply Room.
• Provide current sources in the Resource Library and instruct teachers where to find them.
• Provide support for families to foster a culture of FF in their homes.
• Evaluate the FF Ministry on a regular basis.
• Promote FF special events to encourage participation in the FF Ministry.
• Plan and lead an annual workshop preparing children for communion.
• Develop and maintain a Youth Ministry Advisory Council for support and resources to address the issues and schedule demands of our youth ministry.
• Support youth where they are (attend ball games, visit schools, etc.)
• Schedule special outings with youth for fellowship.
• Attend Presbytery and other retreats with youth.
• Plan and coordinate Youth Sunday and Graduate Recognition Sunday.
• Coordinate and participate in the Montreat Senior High Youth Conference and the Massanetta Springs Middle School Conference.
• Provide opportunities for youth to grow in their faith by planning and coordinating summer mission projects.
• Attend Presbytery meetings as requested.
• Assist in worship as requested.
• Network with other Presbytery educators to stay informed on current ideas and serve on Presbytery committees as needed.
• Keep college students connected to the life of the church.
• Plan and facilitate a retreat, mission project and fellowship event for college students during their Christmas break.
• Encourage college students to participate in their campus ministries and NWPC mission project opportunities.
• Other duties as requested by Pastor.
Skills and Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree.
• Experience as Youth Director or in leading youth programs or equivalent.
• A theological understanding of the Reformed faith and church and knowledge of and a commitment to PCUSA worship traditions.
• Ability to communicate Reformed Faith to children, youth and families.
• Ability to relate to people of all ages.
• Exceptional enthusiasm and love of youth.
• Ability to work closely with FF, Mission and Outreach, Kirk Night and Fellowship Committees.
• Ability to work as a team player in a church setting with staff and volunteers.
• Support the overall mission of NWPC and PCUSA.