FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF YORK
TITLE: Interim Director of Christian Education
FUNCTION: The Interim Director of Christian Education administers Christian education for children and youth. The Interim Director manages the many facets of these programs in order to enable participants to receive Christian education experiences that foster and strengthen their relationship with Jesus Christ and one another so that they will share the Good News with the world. In an interim roll, this leader is tasked with strengthening the current programs, understanding the history of the Christian education ministry, stabilizing volunteer staff through the changes in leadership, and observing and maintaining key traditions within the ministry.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Session, through Co-Pastor
HOURS PER WEEK: up to 20
A. Sunday School
1. Coordinate and oversee the school year operation of the Sunday morning Christian education program.
2. Coordinate special events surrounding the Sunday school such as: presentation of Bibles, mission events, Advent, Epiphany, Lent, Pentecost events, and any intergenerational events.
3. Order and disperse curriculum and classroom supplies.
4. Recruit and train Sunday school teaching staff.
5. Assume responsibility for communication to the Sunday school staff, participants, and the congregation through newsletters, emails and the website.
6. Maintain attendance statistics to be utilized in committee evaluation and planning.
B. Worship education
1. Coordinate and oversee sermon time and blessing time including recruiting volunteers and planning the curriculum
2. Coordinate and oversee Sunday school worship including recruiting volunteers and planning the worship time
3. Assume responsibility for worship education including education about the parts of worship and the Sacraments.
C. Summer Christian education
1. Coordinate and oversee summer Sunday school programs including VBS and summer Sunday school.
2. Recruit and train the education staff for the summer programs
3. Order and disperse curriculum for the summer program
4. Assume responsibility for communication of the summer programs including newsletters, emails, and website.
D. Mid-week program
1. Coordinate and oversee any mid-week Christian education program, including programming for the children and youth plus dinner
2. Recruit and train any staff for the programs
3. Assume responsibility for the communication of any mid-week program through newsletter, emails, and the website.
E. Other duties as assigned by Co-Pastor