Summer Intern with Northwoods Youth Ministry
Northwoods Presbyterian Church
Each summer, Northwoods Presbyterian Church in Houston, TX, offers paid internship(s) to a college student interested in Youth Ministry or leading bible studies and youth events.
Together with Northwoods’ full time staff and volunteers, interns are leaders in camps, conferences, trips, vacation bible school (VBS), youth group, and events during the summer. This internship is an opportunity for you to deepen your faith, exercise and refine your talents, and gain valuable work experience. It is also an opportunity for you to discern if you are called to professional ministry.
Who may apply?
Any college student who has completed at least one year of college is welcome to apply for the youth ministry internship. This requirement is to provide for a greater age gap between our high school youth and the intern. Graduating college seniors and graduate students are welcome to apply as well.
Northwoods is looking for college students who are – Actively growing in their faith.- Energetic, self-motivated, and creative. -Willing to do a variety of tasks from the complex to the mundane. – Skilled at relating to others, especially youth and children.
Youth Ministry Intern:
Compensation: $3,000 total for full time or $1,500 total for part time
Duration: 10 weeks
Interns may work more some weeks than others depending on what is planned for the week. (Weeks involving camps, retreats, lock-in, or Vacation Bible School may involve more time than weeks with regular programming.)
- Interns will assist the Youth Director and work with youth grades 6-12.
- The youth intern should plan to attend summer programming that includes a week long local mission/fellowship event for our youth called SummerQuest, a middle school retreat at Mo-Ranch in Hunt, TX (4 days in July), Also, youth & interns will be assisting with Vacation Bible school at Northwoods.
- Weekly responsibilities for the youth intern will include, but are not limited to, guiding a Wednesday night small group, helping lead Sunday School, facilitating fellowship events at the church and off- campus, and participating in relational ministry to foster friendships within our youth group. Hours are flexible but Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings are required. Other Wednesday activities include basketball or kickball, karaoke, games.
- Youth intern will organize Mess Fest (messy fun event at the end of summer), lead 2 bible studies at our Swim & Studies (swim party followed by bible study) and help organize a Youth Lock-in
- Must have a means of transportation and pass a background & drug test.